Friday 30 March 2007

The Primer

I ordered this book on Boxing Day last year. It arrived yesterday. I've finished reading it already.

Stolen from Amazon: "THE NATURE OF PHOTOGRAPHS by Stephen Shore, is an essential primer on how to understand photography by one of the world's most influential photographers. Growing out of a college course that Shore taught for many years, this book explores ways of looking at photographs from all periods and all types--from iconic images to found photographs, from negatives to digital files. Its aim is to describe the physical and formal attributes of a photographic print--the very elements that form the tools a photographer uses to define and interpret the content. In the end, Shore teaches us, on the most basic level, how a photograph "works."

It's a really easy read, and while it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know, it did make me aware of things which previously were subconscious for me.

And there's lots of pretty pictures too.

2 comments:

a camera in the world said...

d would you recomend it to a avid book buyer like me?

microphen said...

i'd definitely recommend finding a copy to flick through. it really is a primer - every page is a new idea. we are left to do our own further exploration. there are some lovely shots though - some iconic, some not.